If you wish to contact me privately, my email is primemover333@gmail.com. If you wish to know how I got three columns across the top of my blog but only two below ... if you're willing to pay, I'm willing to tell you (unless I really like you, then you don't have to pay).

I enjoy discussion both with people that agree with me and those that don't, so comment liberally if you so choose. However, don't expect me to pull punches if your comments are nonsense.

I believe I will be focusing, for the greater part, on the practical side of things. In other words, "less art, more substance;" how I apply Objectivism in my everyday life. There are enough blogs and other resources available that talk theory. I've provided links to a number of them here. For now, I prefer to focus on applying that theory to the nitty-gritty of everyday life instead of higher concepts. However, inevitably, there will probably by some conceptual posts as well; like any time something really gets my goat. Enjoy.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Objectivist Round Up #68

Our special Halloween edition of the Objectivist Round Up is fit to be tied with 13 entries (somewhat categorised) by authors who have a strong predilection for rationality, honesty, integrity, productivity, independence, pride, and justice.

CULTURAL CHANGE

Burgess Laughlin presents Predicting the timing of cultural changes? posted at Making Progress.
This article briefly wrestles with a recurring problem: How can one predict the timing of major events--such as the decline or renaissance of a culture? This in turn applies to the problem philosophical and intellectual activists are facing: How much time do we have left?

EC presents My Proposal posted at Atlantis.
A not so modest proposal for getting pop culture interested in Oism.

Gus Van Horn presents Pragmatism VS Cultural Change posted at gus van horn.
The way to get better politicians isn't to guilt our best and brightest into serving in politics; but to start by remembering what the proper purpose of government is and how that bears on whom we want in office.


VOTING
ISSUES


Adam Victor Reed presents Darkness Made Visible in Michigan posted at Born to Identify.
Michigan voters on Nov. 4 will decide on a constitutional amendment that would allow researchers to create new stem cell lines using embryos that would otherwise be discarded. The effort faces stiff opposition from Michigan Citizens Against Unrestricted Science & Experimentation, a coalition opposed to the measure because "passage could lead to unregulated research (!) and even (!) human cloning.

Damon Payne presents Blueprint for Change posted at Damon Payne: Hand Waiving Software Architect.
A short analysis of some points of Obama’s “Blueprint for Change.”


EXCORIATING GREENSPAN


Edward Cline presents Greenspan Recants posted at Rule of Reason.

Galileo Blogs presents Greenspan the Pragmatist posted at Galileo Blogs.
Greenspan's congressional testimony and two key comments in his autobiography reveal that this man is no friend of capitalism, nor is he a friend of Objectivism, the philosophy that properly defends it. This is my take on Greenspan the pragmatist.



MISCELLANEOUS


Linn and Ari Armstrong present Time to Speak Out for Free Speech posted at FreeColorado.com.
After reviewing several cases of speech controls in Colorado, we advocate free speech.

::

Piz presents Evil Profit posted at The Four Rs.
Without profits, we're all living in Burundi. Tell a friend.

And … ”Hut! Hut!” Wait, I Mean, “May We Begin Now Comrades?”.
A satirical look at “spreading the wealth around” in the NFL.

::

Khartoum presents Exams In Hibernation. posted at Reddie Reasons.
I wish we had better things to study ... what a wish!

::

Paul S. Hsieh presents Mackerel Economics posted at NoodleFood.
Our government officials need to more learn about economics from federal prisoners.


… AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT


Diana Hsieh presents What I Eat posted at NoodleFood.
This latest installment in my blogging on nutrition and health sketches my own paleo diet and offers some suggestions for eating well.


Thanks for reading. Submit your entries for the November 6th edition which will be hosted by C. August at Titanic Deck Chairs via the carnival submission form. Links to the Round Up's posts and hosts (past and future) are found here. Y'all come back now ya' hear!

~Adam